Question
Posted by: Sara | 2004/02/24

Exercises to get rid of my tummy

I am insulin resitance and have put on a lil weight on my tummy... are there any exercises i can do to just tone it a lil?

I also recently bought an exercise ball.. unfortunatly i keep falling of it are there any exercises i can practise just to get my balance correct?

Hi Sara

The main thing that you should aim to do is regular cardiovascular exercises. This will benefit you in terms of your insulin resistance and your weight loss around the tummy. Cardio would include walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

To this cardio you would add in some resistance, specific exercises for the stomach. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. I would suggest you have a look at the 'Zone-in-on' section of the Health 24 website (www.health24.co.za). You can find this section under 'Fitness', and then just click on the image that shows the areas you want to work on, and you will be able to see the exercises relevant to you.

Finally, the exercise ball is a very good way to develop strength and stability in the abdominal muscles, but it does take time to get going. The problem you are having at the moment is a sign that perhaps your core muscles are a little weak, but even if you just practice sitting on the ball with your back straight, hands on knees, then lift one foot off the ground at a time, you will get better. I would suggest this basic exercise to start with. It is important to be patient and to realise that this type of training is very good for you, but without the regular cardio, all you will be doing is strengthening the muscle and not actually seeing any results from a weight loss point of view.

3
Posted by: ada | 2004/02/28

i have tried series of exercise and still nosolutionto my big tommy problem, So can i chat with you mayto explain my condition better.

Reply to ada
Posted by: ada | 2004/02/28

Reply to ada
Posted by: broz | 2004/02/24

just by sitting on tho ball fromm time to time will help you get use to the ball and will help your core muscles stabilize yourself.
what size ball is it as the correct size will also play a huge role.
asfar as loosing weight on your tummy you will need to do some sort of cardio workout to reduce body fat.

Reply to broz