Question
Posted by: Obese | 2005/07/19

Exercises for obese person/s

I am 44, female, obese. Son is 8, overweight (56kg).
Now, where do we start not to overdo it?
Help us please

HI there

I am pleased that you are taking a personal interest in your son and his health. We do know that one of the most important factors hat determines whether a child grows up to be active or not is the activity level of parents, and so that may be a good place to start. In otherwords, you can set the example by joining him and showing him that exercise is fun and worth the time and effort. In your case, this seves two purposes, one for yourself, one for him. Now, the most important thing, for him and for you is that the exercise is fun, easy enough to do and obviously effective. I would suggest that for your son, you encourage him as much as possible to do school sports, like soccer, cricket, tennis, hockey, whatever. It is easy to allow kids to watch TV all day or be inactive, less easy to suppot them in school sports, but that is what you must do. Then as for yourself, have a look at the Fitness page of this site and check out the Programmes link. Here you will see a number of different ones that you can choose from. My advice is to go for one of the walking or running ones and then go for it. You can also encourage your son to join you 2 or 3 afternoons a week.

Finally, be patient and give it time, it will not happen overnight, but stick at it and you will see results