Question
Posted by: eager | 2007/04/17

exercises for martial arts

Hi Morne and hello all,

I would like to know what a regular martial arts fitness/conditioning exercise program would look like. I currently have two 15kg dumbbells and a physioball. I also read an ebook from Matt Furey which included Hindu pushups/squats etc.
I do a bit of weight training as well, but if at all possible, could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Expert ImageSelf defence expert

HI Eager,

First of all it depends on what Martial Art/Combat sport you are involced in as Boxing and TaeKwon Do would have different sport specific and emphasis training. Matt Furey is a great source of information and has many good exercises just using your bodyweight so i would highly recommend those. I always like to expose my students to what i call combat athletics. To use a more visual explanation :-) My goal is to have the explosiveness of a 100 Olympic sprinter, the Endurance of a comrades athlete and the functional strength of an olympic wrestler while doing all this i must be able to apply it under full resistance. Pretty tough, but that is what we aim for. SO for example compare the difference in running 1 km, sprinting for 1km or sprinting with someone on your back for 1km. One has to be careful not o become gym fit or routine fit but to always expose your body and mind to as many variations and intensities as possible. If you go onto my website at www.jkd.co.za and look at the video channel on the home page you will take note of two of our students preparing for recent fights. There is some footage of them training with weights etc. which will give you some guidance.

I am also working on a DVD production which will hopefulle be released later this year called combat athletics which will give you some more conditioning ideas.

Take Care.

Morne
www.jkd.co.za