Question
Posted by: twang toe | 2008/01/30

exercises for back & stomach

I have a self inflicted injury from many years ago . Three of the discs in my lower back have disintigrated . What excercises can be done to strengthen back and stomach muscules . without causing too much pain .

Hi Twang toe

Very difficult to say - I'd be guessing, in fact, because I don't know what your specific injury symptoms are. In that case, the safest option is usually to let pain guide your activities, and see whether you are able to do certain types of training without pain. I don't think there are any radically different exercise types that you need to do - if you're at the gym, then it's all the normal types of training on the circuit. One thing that I would recommend, however, is Pilates, which I think is probably the best and maybe the safest exercise you can do for your back in particular. So if you're at a gym with a V-Core or pilates class, that's a good bet, otherwise, there are private studios that give classes.