Posted by: Esmé | 2004/01/14


My father of 70 is a hemiplegic and has arthritis in his knees. He now wants to start riding on exercise cycle. Would this have any benefit or would it make the arthritis worse?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi there

All things considered, I would actually recommend that you and your father look into starting an exercise programme in consultation with either a doctor or a biokineticist. There is more to it than just arthritis of course. For arthritis alone, exercise is very beneficial, provided it’s not done at a high intensity which can worsen the condtion. Gentle cycling would be a good option. However, in your father’s case, a more complex situation exists because he is hemiplegic and because he is starting exercise at age 70. I think that this is a very noble thing, and I would encourage him to be active, but only with great care – heart problems, injury, etc are all much bigger factors at 70 than they would be for a 30 year old. So, all things considered, I certainly think that a doctor or a biokineticist would be best placed to advise and help him start up.

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.