Question
Posted by: Jillybean | 2005/11/29

Exercise/No Exercise...?

Hi, just a quick question!
I have heard of several dieticians saying you shouldn't exercise during the first weeks/months of dieting. Is this true? Do you really not lose any weight if you exercise during a diet?

Dear Jilly
I think what these people mean is that doing strenuous exercise can cause muscle development and because muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, such a gain in muscle tissue would make it look as if you are not losing any weight when you actually are doing so. I believe that the combination of exercise and diet produces a better result in the long-term.