Question
Posted by: Zulumoose | 2003/03/26

exercise with a loose hip joint

I am a 33yr old male who is a little unfit at the moment, and looking to improve.

I followed the Tae-Bo videos for 6 weeks a couple of years ago and felt great, stopping only because I became ill for a couple of months. I would like to start again, but am concerned about my right hip, which "pops" when I lift my knee upwards and outwards to the side in the one exercise. There is no pain, just a movement and a very faint noise, much less dramatic than popping a knuckle, but unnerving in such a large joint. Also it repeats every time without exception, unlike a knuckle.

It did the same thing previously but I carried on, telling myself it was just loose ligaments or something which would improve with fitness, but it did not get any better or worse through the 6 weeks.

I am wondering whether this sort of condition, which I am very dissapointed to have while I still feel relatively young, should be treated with more care. Should I be doing a particular exercise to improve it, or avoiding exercises which trigger it, or is there something I can do in terms of self-diagnosis to make sure it is nothing more serious?

What do you suggest?

Dear Zulumoose

Self diagnosis I'm afraid can be very dangerous. For me to diagnose what is happening with your hip would be just as dangerous. You are concerned, so please do something about it. It is important that you have a correct clear diagnosis before you can look at management. I suggest you see a sports medicine specialist or sports physiotherapist before you take on any heavy physical activity again. In the mean time continue to exercise progressively building up the intensity without pushing your hip to its limit or into pain or discomfort