Question
Posted by: Pretty | 2007/12/07

Exercise twice a day

I have been exercising from mid September and i am on low GI diet and so far i have lost only 10kg, i seem to be loosing 1kg per week which seems way to slow for me. I was thinking, now that i will be on vacation for the whole month, how about exercising twice daily 4 times a week, early in the morning and in the afternoons. Will this speed up my weight loss and are there any disadvantages of training twice a day. Am i being hard on myself and trying to loose more too soon. I will accept to loose at least 3ks per week, is this realistic or am i punishing my body. I want to look great when i go back to work in 2008. Please advice me.

Hi Pretty

10 kg is a lot in three months, I'd be proud of that. Of course, it depends on what your starting weight was, but I'd say this has been steady and consistent progress, which is great.

I would be cautious about training twice a day - the added stress, in that you'll have only half the recovery time compared to what you have had so far, is a major implication. The risk of injury will increase massively, and if you pick up an injury in the next week or two, then your festive season will pass with NO exercise at all. So I would not take the risk, and rather look at increasing your exercise frequency to 5 days a week, rather than 4.

You won't lose 3 kg a week, it's a huge goal to have, and I think that if you can even lose 0.5kg a week, then you'd be doing well, so just stick with this, it's working and you just need time and consistency.

1
Posted by: Pretty | 2007/12/10

Dear Doc

Thanx Doc, i guess i just need lots of patience and to remember that it took ages to for me to get obese and the weight won't suddenly vanish as quick as i think it would. When i started changing my lifestyle i weighed 96.7 and i have started seeing a difference in my clothes. I would rather choose to be patient than to make a mistake and end up with no exercise at al during the festive season, it would kill me. I used to exercise 5 days a week until last week when i started with the group training 2x a week on Mondays and fridays, i find myself very exhausted on Wednesdays and i take a break.
Blessings!

Reply to Pretty