Posted by: Jella | 2008/08/20

exercise routine times and eating

I want to start with my exercise routine. What is the best time of day and how long before or after should one consume food. I only have time in the morning before going to work and in the afternoon after work to get some exercise in. Mostly food consumption will follow within 30min to hour after the exercise routine.

Hi Jella

This is quite a common question, and the answer is that it doesn't really matter that much. Some have said that it's best to train on an empty stomach because it 'forces the body to burn fat, and while this has some truth to it, the practical consequences far outweigh the theory - that is, people might have to eat before they train, because they can become light-headed if they don't. On the other hand, if you don't become light headed or weak if you train before you eat, then eating afterwards is fine. It's also been said that you must eat within the first hour after training, because that would be when the body is most able to take up and use the energy. That may be true in theory, but the reality is also that if you didn't eat in the first hour, but only a few hours after, your body would still be energy depleted and that energy would be very welcome by the body.

So ultimately it's a practical issue. Some people, for example, can't eat soon after training because exercise kills their appetite. Others can only eat, they get so hungry from exercising that they have to eat pretty much straight away. So you have to listen to your body, and as long as you do eventually put back what exercise took out, you'll be fine.

Hope that helps!