Question
Posted by: Gym Fanatic | 2007/03/30

Exercise routine

I have heard to exercise in the morning you lose weight and in the evening you build muscle. Is this true?

No, it's not. I'm not sure where that rumour came from. What does happen is that under certain circumstances, you would exercise in the morning and your body would have to rely more on fat for energy, because you have no more carbohydrate left. This is often used as a training technique by elite athletes to improve their endurance. However, I would not really suggest it for anyone else, wanting to lose weight, because the problem is that when you run out of carbohydrates, you become hypoglycemic and this can be quite a dangerous and unpleasant experience. If you are in a gym, then it's probably OK, but I wouldn't make a habit of doing it. Rather have some energy available all the time, and that way rather train hard and get the most of the training session, instead of trying to 'cheat the system' and possibly lose out.