Question
Posted by: Mummy | 2006/10/31

Exercise Regime

I am working out on a new exercise machine and there is a kcal counter, I am burning up to 12.800 kcal per ten minute session.
What does this mean?

Dear Mummy
Well, if the machine is accurate then when you have burned up 9000 calories (cal - kcal), you will lose 1 kg of weight. This type of information is actually meaningless. What is important is that you are doing real aerobic exercise (also called cardio) which works up a sweat and makes you feel tired when you are finished. If the exercise machine just firms your muscles that is good, but it will not make you lose weight.