Question
Posted by: Honey | 2007/04/19

EXERCISE PROGRAM

Hi, I've seen a personal trainer and she advised the following exercice program for me. I am about 10kg overweight and my upper body is my main concern. She advised the following:

Day 1 - Upper body training + Abs
Day 2 - Lower body training + Abs
Day 3 + 4 Cardio + Core training

She advised me of the different types of exercises, reps, and the weights.

I do the gym classes in the morning (60 min) includes step & weights, Low impact, Vfit & Bosu and then I incorporate the upper, lower and abs every alternate day as well as the cross trainer for 20 minutes. Am I doing enough in order to lose the weight and also to tone.

Hi Honey

It may be enough to lose weight - that is unfortunately a question that I can't answer accurately, because there are too many factors affecting it to be able to say yes or no. There is diet, your current weight, the intensity of your exericse training, the volume, the frequence, genetics etc.

So many factors affect it that it is therefore a guess. Looking at each one individually helps though. In your case, the volume and the frequency of training are not too bad - if I understand correcly, you do five days a week, which is good and the duration of 60 min is also very good. So that means you are doing those components optimally. The missing ingredient, often, is intensity. It's difficult to measure intensity but many people make the mistake of either going too hard, or too easy. Too hard leads to injury, too easy leads to slow progress. So you have to find a balance. Generally, 45 minutes of exercise that leaves you feeling tired by not exhausted is good. that's what you aim for.

So my assessment of your programme is that it should work. Again, there are factors outside exercise that can easily undermine your plans, and so just be aware of this and make sure that diet is optimal.