Question
Posted by: Faro | 2007/03/22

EXERCISE & OSTEOARTHRITIS

I have osteoarthritis which affects my hip and would like to know if it is advisable to exercise - aerobics and spin?

Hi Faro

Absolutely, exercise is great, but you have to let your symptoms guide your exercise. An exercise like spinning, because it doesn't involve loading on the joints and impact like running does, may be more suitable to you. However, even spinning may irritate your hip, because it can cause overuse of the hip if it's overdone. But the symptoms will guide this, and the same goes for aerobics - high impact is probably not ideal right away, but there is no reason why low impact aerobics, moving onto higher intensity later on, won't be possible. It may even be beneficial, so I would certainly consider it. Keys to starting out are to give your body a good deal of time to adapt, making sure you rest at least one day every two. In otherwords, one day on, one day off, for the first while. As you get stronger and fitter, less rest would be needed.

Good luck!
Ross