Question
Posted by: c10 | 2004/11/12

exercise on trip

hi there!
i'm going to turkey(in the winter-aaah)from 30nov-15des. my regular exercise includes jogging for about 40minutes almost everyday. since i will not be able to do this, what do you recommend for a good workout-calorie burner-body toner-exercise? not sure if the hotels will have gyms? think some might hav pools----but it's winter!
thanx alot
tata

Hi C10

Well hopefully the hotels will have gyms in them, that would make life a lot easier. I don't know exactly how harsh the winter will be, perhaps if it is not especially severe, you will be able to get away with a short run wearing some gloves and long sleeved clothes. That would by the best thing to try - try to make time to do a short run, even if it's only 15 to 20 minutes. Remember, that when on holiday, it's really hard to find routine, and routine is really key to successfully following an exercise programme. So, it's perhaps unrealistic to expect to return from Europe as fit as you are now, and so the first thing is to realise that you may have to spend a few weeks when you return getting back to the level where you are. What you then need to do in Europe is maintain as much as possible, and to do this, you don't need to do the SAME volume of exercise, you probably only need about half as much. That means that a 40 minute run every second day, or 15 to 20 minutes when you can is great. As for what you can do inside a hotel room, I really don't think that I would like to do this, but I suppose that you can attempt to skip and then do a series of toning exercises, things like squats, lunges, crunches etc. I would suggest that you check out the following website for some more ideas of home exercise:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

However, at the end of the day, I would go and enjoy Europe, walk as much as possible, don't take buses when you can walk, see the sights and have a good time and don't worry too much about the fitness, it's only 2 weeks that you are away, and you will catch this up so quickly it is not worth interfering with your holiday for.

PErhaps the break will also be good for the body