Question
Posted by: Kay | 2007/04/17

Exercise Limited time

I only have 30 minutes per day to be at the gym. How can I use this time effectively to maximise my fitness and for weight loss. Do I ocncentrate more on cardio or weights ?

Hi Kay

Thinking pragmatically, my first thought is rather don't go to the gym, because if time is that tight, then don't waste it driving to and from gym, when you could simply lace up your shoes or grab a bike and go out and do the same exercise outside! So what I would seriously suggest is that you consider doing some exercise outside, from home, to save some time. Then you should be able to get a 45 minute brisk jog, walk or cycle in, which takes care of the cardio on at least 3 days a week. Of course, this could be impossible and you have to go to the gym. In that case, i would choose 3 days a week to do cardio and 2 days for weights and rather split them, otherwise you eat away your time moving around and trying to juggle them. As for what you do, no more than 2 items per day for cardio (so don't use every single machine for 5 minutes, rather go 20 and then 10). And for the weights, work out a specific plan. nothing wastes time like moving aimlessly around and so it's good to go in with a specific plan to make the most of the time you have. That means hit the gym, spend X minutes on the treadmill and Y on the rowing machine, for example. When you do the weight training, it means doing X reps on this machine, Y on that one, and so on, with no time wasted in between.

I think it's key that you up the intensity very slightly as well - it's only 30 minutes, so you can afford to push a little more than usual, if you were doing 45 minutes.