Question
Posted by: Ciriska | 2003/12/10

Exercise in bits

I know I should be doing 30-45 minutes about three times a week, but I can't fit that into my schedule. Will it have the same impact if I do 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there but I still end up doing 30-45 minutes that day?

Hi Ciriska

It does - the recommendation is to accumulate the 30 to 45 minutes (but, it is 4 to 5 times a week, not just 3), and so it doesn't distinguish how that's done. The only drawback to what you are suggesting is the practicality - it seems really awkward to have to do exercise in a structured way on three occasions per day - I would far rather you do it all at once, for practicalities sake. Then, in terms of fitness, it's definitely necessary to do slightly longer sessions - this may not be the goal, but for someone wanting to get fit, you have to try to do longer training stints.