Question
Posted by: Nina | 2003/02/11

Exercise for toning

I feel that the programs i get from my gym result in too much muscle building, and hence a 'butch' look. I think this is because this gym seems to be oriented towards body building - which i am not interested in. With the programs i've gotten, i can't seem to stay slim and lean with some visible toning - rather i'm building too much muscle and then struggle to get that down again.

Do you have any advice for simply staying slim and toning?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Nina

The resistance training is good, but perhaps you are doing too much of it and not enough cardiovascular exercise? Some girls do build muscle quicker than others.
Perhaps increase your cardiovascular workouts each week and do a high intensity workout at least once, if not twice a week.

Realise, if you lose muscle mass, your metabolic rate will drop a bit, meaning your energy expenditure might be a little decreased - however, if you increase the cardiovascular exercise, you can prevent this from happening.

Good luck!

1
Posted by: Wilma | 2003/02/18

I would like to start weifht (resistance) training I do not no wich weights to buy. I am a small person weghs 47 kg 5ft tall.

Reply to Wilma