Question
Posted by: Motivated | 2005/01/11

Exercise for loose skin??

I am about 40 kg overweight - and 2005 will be the year to turnaround my life.

I am following a sensible diet (basically cutting out cooldrinks, chocolates, etc) and eating six small meals a day.

I would just like to know what type of exercise I can do to avoid having lots of loose skin after I loose the weight.

I am just scared that a rapid weightloss will lead to a stomach with lots of loose skin.

What is your opinion on the new Abswing?

I am so delighted to hear your plans, I and also hope that this year is the year for you!

I think that the sensible diet is an essential starting point. I also think that regular exercise, if you make weight loss your first priority is vital. The loose skin problem is unfortunately a very real one, and sometimes it happens, other times not. I am not sure of any specific exercise that you can do to prevent it - your skin is not active like muscle is, so it's not as though you can exercise. I think in this regard the most important thing you can do, and you touched on it, is to aim for gradual sustained weight loss, rather than rapid results. This will allow the connective tissue in the skin to perhaps adapt and reduce this effect. It may help to do stomach toning exercise, and certainly, I would suggest you do them, perhaps including the Abswing, but I am not sure that this is going to achieve the weight loss by itself, though I'm sure you know this. My advice is to do regular cardio as a first priority, eat very well as a second (and don't hesitate to speak with a dietary expert on this one) and then do the stomach work last.