Question
Posted by: Jane S | 2006/07/31

Exercise combined with jaw wiring

Dear Fitness doc
I have heard that jaw wiring is bad for me but well I went ahead and did it anyway. My question is since I did the jaw wiring (2 weeks ago) I have been going to gym everymorning for 30 minutes and exercising 20 minutes on the Stepper and 10 minutes on the Rower. When I started my wight was 92.7kg I lost weight from day one about .55 a day. A week after that I bought USN fat bunner and Diet Fuel and started taking that (I am still jaw wired). My problem is that I have started gaining weight instead of loosing it (I also started going to gym twice a day repeating my exercise). I look great and can see that I am loosing wieght but why is the scale telling me a different story? Please help me understand this.

Hi Jane S

One of many reasons why I am against the idea of jaw wiring is that it messes up the body's metabolic processes so much that trying to predict what will happen in the long term is just about impossible. When people diet to lose weight, sometimes they find that they don't lose weight at all and one reason is that the body is so clever that it knows how much energy it is being given from food and when this decreases, the body simply reduces the amount of energy it uses. The net result is that you don't actually lose weight. This is why if you are dieting it is key to eat quite a lot and quite often - 5 meals a day, because it keeps the body's metabolic rate up and actually promotes the use of energy. Now, with jaw wiring we are talking extremes of energy deprivation and change. I must be honest and confess that I don't know what is happening metabolically in this case.

Now, the other thing that may be at work here is that you are training and training builds muscle and so that means that your mass should increase. Any fat loss from training is then offset by an increase in muscle mass and that causes many people confusion. So be mindful of this, and make sure that your goal is to get fitter, to look better and not to worry too much about the scale. It does not tell the full story. And really, you need to look at your diet, because you don't need this extreme - it's going to cause problems in the long run.

2
Posted by: kato | 2006/08/01

You're obviously picking up muscle weight from doing the exercise and taking the muscle fuel stuff, and muscle is heavier than fat so even if you're losing fat you'll still pick up a bit initially, until you're fully toned, then you'll just start losing (that's how I understand it). Don't get distracted and maybe you should stop weighing yourself - I know it really throws me if I'm doing well and the scale says otherwise. You should go according to how your clothes fit.

Reply to kato
Posted by: Jane S | 2006/08/01

Dear Diet Doc

Its me again Jane. My height is 1.65 and my weight is 88 kgs.

Reply to Jane S