Posted by: Emma | 2008/07/24

Exercise challenge

I am a 52 year old woman and I am a diaplegic cp since birth. For the past 9 years I have been sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day and I find that my legs are becoming very weak, making walking and balance even worse than it used to be. I cannot go swimming as I cannot get in and out of pools by myself (I live alone). I know I need some form of exercise, but I don'  t know what to do. Walking alone will not help much as I depend on a walker these days. Have you got any suggestions for me?

Having a full time job is tiring and the lack of money is also an issue for me.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Emma,
I highly recommend a static bike. Not with handles that you pull back and forth, just a basic bike set at the right height and minimal resistance. Ensure you use surrounding furniture to help you get on and off safely.
Start with 5 minutes every day for a month and increase by 5 minutes per month. Take it nice and easy it is not supposed to be challenging so watch TV or listen to some relaxing or motivating music at the same time. If 5 minutes is too muh start with 1 minute and progress.
You will experience over time increase strength in your legs as well as many general health benefits.
Ensure you get a middle of the range bike which is stable enough to support you. You have an initial expense around (R1000 for an average static bike) but beyond that the benefits far outweight this cost.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath