Posted by: Snoekels | 2008/09/25

exercise bike

How do I reach the recommended 30 minutes a day of cardio exercise if I can only do 10 minutes at a time on my exercise bike? I' m middle-aged, fat and unfit, and trying to get to a healthier lifestyle with diet and exercise, but the exercise is proving tough. After 10 minutes I' m tired, my bum hurts and I' m bored. The bike is the most practical option for me though, neighbourhood is too scary to walk.
Should I try to do one minute more every day, or do 2 or 3 sessions of 10 minutes each? Would separate short sessions be as good as one for fitness and weight loss?

You mix periods of cycling with resting. You don't have to do 30 minutes non-stop, so why not try, for example, to cycle for 3 minutes, and then rest for 2 minutes. And repeate this 6 times? that will get you to 30 minutes. In those two minutes, to alleviate boredom, you might consider whether there are some other activities you could do - some pushups, some situps etc. The change in routine is often what it takes.

Having said this, if it's a mental boredom, the best thing you can do is to get a friend to train with you. I don't think you should try to aim for 10 minute sessions - it's just not practical. So rather go for the longer session, but rope a friend in to keep you company, provide some motivation, that kind of thing. Helps a lot!