Question
Posted by: jane | 2004/03/05

exercise and weight gain

i've been doing aerobics constantly for the last two years now, i had reached my goal weight and thought gym would be a great way of maintaining it, but in the last couple of months i've noticed myself steadily gaining weight and i still go to gym at least 3 times a week. I do body conditioning, and tae-bo. Please help!

HI Jane

It's hard for me to point to a potential problem - I think that what you need to do is a little detective work, and just look back at the last year to 2 years of your training, and you will almost definitely find something that has changed. You mention that you had been doing aerobics, and not you say that you do body conditioning and tae bo. SO, the things to look at are the relative intensities of those two activities. For example, aerobics may be a relatively higher intensity than the taebo or body conditioning. Also, look at how many days a week you used to train. If you used to put in 5 days a week, and you are now doing only 3, then it may actually be quite easy to explain what the problem is, and you may just need to do more training. It's true that once you reach your goal weight, it's a matter of getting into a gym and maintaining it, but it's not that hard to see the weight go up again, if your exercise is reduced compared to before, or if your daily energy intake (diet) suddenly increases. So, what I suspect is that your exercise was either reduced in intensity or frequency, or that your daily intake of energy went up. The key is to reduce that daily intake, or to increase your use per day, by doing some more exercise. I hope that you don't get too despondent - you must just make very subtle changes - you've done it before, and now it's just a matter of gradually working your way back to that level.

Lastly, a lot could also depend on what your weight is. I know that you have said it is ideal, but this can mean different things. It's quite possible that you managed to drop your weight drastically using diet and exercise before, and as a result your body responded by slowing down its metabolic rate and now you are seeing the increases in weight again. If you can be patient, just keep exercising and you'll get there!

GOod luck