Question
Posted by: Nick | 2007/08/25

Exercise and suppliments

Hi Doc.
I would just like to know if it would be bad for my health if I drink coffee just before or directly after exercise; because of the caffein. And would it be best to drink protein suppliments before or after exercise.

Tx

Hi Nick

No, coffee is certainly not bad for you. Some people react badly to it - I know for myself that if I drink coffee, I develop stomach problems, and that obviously prevents me from doing any exercise! But that's not something that happens to everyone, which means you have to experiment and see what happens. I know athletes who drink loads of coffee, coke and Red Bull before exercise as well, and they have no problems.

As for the protein, that's something for after exercise, because protein is quite difficult to digest and so it can quite easily cause stomach discomfort and problems, which will obviously affect exercise. Also, replacing energy and amino acids after training probably helps with recovery, so the answer there is to wait until you're finished.