Question
Posted by: info | 2004/01/05

Exercise - and health conditions

Good Day,
I have 2 conditions that I would appreciate information on: -
1. My father-in-law has a breathing condition and has to be on oxygen and a ventilator/ nebuliser daily. Is exercise a good option to keep the heart in order or will it place a strain on the heart as with his brother (been hospitalised with the same condition including an enlarged heart due to over working). Please advise.
2. My mother-in-law has a condition with her feet - ulcers in the viens that has caused problems. She has dropped feet as well and is in enormous pain. Is there any anestetic, pain killers that we could use that would reduce the discomfort with the knowledge that she is allergic to penecillin and sulphur.

Tx

Info, it all depends on the type of lung condition your father-in-law has, but generally speaking, moderate exercise should be beneficial. It will stimulate blood flow and increase oxygenation of the cells. The type of exercise will depend on the severity of his lung disorder, but he shouldn’t become out of breath at any stage.
I’m not sure what your mother-in-law’s problem is, as I don’t know of any disease that causes ulcers in veins. Is it not maybe that she has venous stasis ulcers? Let me know and we’ll take it from there. Good luck.