Posted by: Karen | 2008/07/07

Exercise and Chest Infections

Dear Doc

As soon as I start doing Cardio, I get what seems like a "chest infection'? I always make a point of not doing any exercise for atleast 2 months after having a cold/flu, but as soon as I start doing any form of Cardio Exercise, this seems to flair up a chest 'infection' and I get a full blown cold...which then results in me staying away from gym again for 2 months to try and get better first.

Whether I take antibiotics or not, the same thing happens again and again. What can I do to prevent this as I deseperately want to get back to gym fulltime and get fit and healthy?

Looking forward to yoru advise!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

HI Karen

Very difficult one. First thing is to realise that there is a well defined phenomenon where people develop SYMPTOMS of infections despite not having an infection. It happens in many people, and maybe you're one of them. If this is the case, then you actually don't have a cold or flu, but rather just have irritated airways (respiratory tract), and could continue exercise (symptoms aside, which i realise are not pleasant).

The second thing is that perhaps your immune function is just supressed, and you need to look at certain supplements that might help - glutamine, zinc and vitamin C are the ones that get all the press. Often the studies find no effect,but I'm not convinced that this means there is no effect. I wouldn't advocate mega doses, especially of Vit C, but I do think that you would do well to supplement Glutamine and Zinc.

Finally, just manage your exposure, and in winter, that's difficult, especially in gyms, because you're in a contained space with a lot of people who are breathing heavily, with air-con recycling the air, and the chances of exposure are high. So be careful about those situations, especially when they are avoidable.

hope that helps.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.