Question
Posted by: Granny needs to get fit | 2004/11/17

Exercise and age

I am a very unfit 48-year old woman. Having been relatively fit for most of my life due to hiking and hockey, I'm now short of breath when walking fast for 3 minutes. My circumstances are such that I cannot join a gym, nor can I go for a walk or jog after hours. Is there any way in which I could get cardio-vascularly fit again, at my age, at a stage of being hugely unfit, and in my restrained circumstances? I'm overweight, but am more concerned about being unfit, knowing that once the latter is being addressed, the former will be rectified automatically.

HI there

You can most certainly get fit, but the key is time. You have various constraints, everyone does and certainly the age, being unfit and not being able to join a gym are considerations in the training, but these are relatively easily overcome. However, the fact that you cannot find time to exercise is the big problem, and there is no way to achieve anything if you can't find some time from somewhere. It's vitally important that make time - no one ever found that they suddenly had enough time to exercise, they have to prioritize it.

If you can do this, then a really great exercise programme is at the following web address:http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that.