Question
Posted by: Sam | 2006/04/12

Exercise after tummy tuck

I had a tummy tuck and breast lift three weeks ago. Everyone says that after 3 weeks one can exercise again 'moderately', but nothing that involves the abdominal muscles until 6 weeks afterwards. I am racking my brain for a form of 'moderate' exercise that does not involve the abdominals but everything I did before was designed to target that area so I am pretty lost. Walking is about the only thing mentioned specifically - is there anything else one could do??

Hi Sam

Yes, walking is good, cycling, running and perhaps swimming. Of course, it is true that any exercise does use the abdominal muscles, but these activities far less than a dedicated session of pilates, situps and core training. So I think that for a couple of weeks, you may need to change your normal routine - try swimming, cycling, walking, maybe some light jogging, and then in about 4 weeks, you should be just about ready to resume normal events.