Question
Posted by: Inge | 2006/10/29

Exercise after knee replacement

I am going for knee replacements soon. I have been doing low impact aerobic exercises, including step exercises on the low level. I know that all the change of direction hurt me and will possibly not hurt after the operations. I want to know if it is wise to continue such exercises for the rest of my life or must I become more sedentary and just walk and cycle and swim. I get conflicting opinions. The aerobic classes involve more muscle group workouts than the forward moving walking and cycling. I also do not want to cause the prosthesis to wear out unnecessary because of the wrong type of exercise. I know I have to exercise despite pain to get flexibility, but I need to know where to draw the line.

Expert ImageArchive

The best person to ask here is going to be your surgeon. At the end of the day he or she will need to take responsibility for how things work out for you. Each surgeon has their own way of working and you need to work within that.

Douglas