Question
Posted by: cathy | 2007/08/24

exercise

Sorry to bother you - I've tried on Heartdoc and 2 other sites but they are currently under construction.

I've got an extremely high heart rate (170/m) resting, high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholestorol. Taking tablets for all, a beta blocker for heart rate and b/p. My gp now told me he think I should start excersising(spelling!) but did not give any more info.

I thought of starting on the stationary bike but don't know exactly how. no info available on fitness site for a usable program for some-one with my condition.

any advise will be wellcome.

Dear Cathy

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

You should make an appointment with a Specialist to optimise your current treatment. I suggest that you start with a slow exercise program by walking 20 minutes per day and thereafter, starting with a slow jog for 20 to 30 minutes per day. Light weights every second day would also help to keep you fit and tone your muscles. Before starting your exercise program it will be a good idea to discuss this with the Specialist as well.

Kind regards

2
Posted by: anxious | 2007/08/24

Joining Walk for Life, as Anon says, is a brilliant idea. They are extremely professional, very friendly and also extremely supportive. They cater for all levels of fitness from extreme beginners (as I was!) to advanced people. I joined in May on medical orders (I now have a chronic lymphoedema problem of my right lower leg) and thoroughly enjoy my classes. They set up individual programmes for each member and I was made to have an exercise test so that they can determine your level of fitness and set up your programme accordingly. You are monitered at all times at each session and my manager was just saying to me last night at my session that they do get quite a few heart related problem members who join on medical advice.

They start everyone off very slowly, every new member is only allowed to start with 5 mins walking for their 1st two sessions and then they up you every 2.5 mins thereafter. Your pulse rate is taken at least 2 during each session and you have to complete log books which you have to hand in to your manager at the end of each month. This way your progress can be monitored and changes made where necessary. They treat everyone as an individual and its not about competing with anyone else - its about doing what you can manage and you get wonderful support and excellent, professional monitoring all the time. My classes (I go Tues & Thurs - 5:00 or 5:30 always have lots of members coming). Please consider joining a branch - visit their website and read about them and see how many branches there and how professional and successful they are! Its runwalkforlife .co.za.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: anon | 2007/08/24

You would be wise to exercise under supervision, i.e. with a biokineticist who will take your BP before exercise and start you off on a program, monitor you throughout and according to your progress, increase intensity and amount of time. You should be doing cardiovascular/stretching and some weight training.

Swimming is another good way of excercising.

Are you on medical aid, if you are your medical aid will pay for the biokineticist.

Start off perhaps by either joining a biokinetic gym, they have one at Linksfield Clinic, Centre for Diabetes & Endocrinology Houghton, Milpark and many other centres.

Walking is an excellent way to exercise, start walking around the block at a slow pace, if you are able to take your own pulse, measure it before exercising and after. Or get a heart rate monitor. Joining Walk for Life, you will be monitored and they have a wonderful program, its social too, not only will you get fitter and healthier, you will lose weight and exercising will lower your BP, cholesterol, you will build up stamina and feel better.

If you do have a stationary bike and it can measure your BP and heart rate, begin slow, say 5 minutes and increase your intensity and distance as you get fitter.

You can post on Fitness Doc, check the talk forums as well.

Why not also ask your physiotherapist to recommend a good pilates instructor who can help you strengthening your core muscles. Your physio should be able to give you advice on how to start exercising.

If you are on medical aid and they include a gym, if you do not belong to one, then they will also work out a program for you. You do need supervision in the beginning and monitoring. Like I mentioned a heart rate monitor is an excellent investment.

Reply to anon