Question
Posted by: Tia | 2007/03/28

Exercise

Hi! Doc, I need 2 find out as 2 when is it best 2 exercise (in the morning in an empty stomach or evening after eating) when do u burn more fat & does walking on the treadmill also help one burn more fat or only running does that. I'm exercising in the mornings doing the following: cycling for 15 min, running or walking on the treadmill for also 15min, stomach exercises & other other parts of the body, is this enough 2 make one lose weight, Thanx in advance.......................

Hi Tia

The idea about exercising in the morning without eating before, is that the body is then forced to use fat because the glucose levels and the storage levels of sugars are reduced overnight. That’s probably at least partly right, and so if you can exercise without eating, then go for it. The problem, however, is that if your body runs out of glucose, you may not be able to exercise at all, because the body cannot use just fat. It needs some glucose all the time, and so you have take into account the following factors as well:

• The intensity of the training: if the intensity is too high, you have the risk of becoming hypoglycaemic.
• The duration of the training: if you exercise too long, you also have a risk of becoming hypoglycaemic. Generally, you can get away with one hour of moderate exercise, but very hard, or very long exercise is probably not a great idea, because of this risk of running out of energy during the session, which is not a pleasant experience.

I think in your case, you are OK doing your training in the morning - it's neither long enough or high intensity enough to need that energy, so provided you are coping, keep it up. As for whether it will help you lose weight, that depends on too many factors for me to say yes or no. Genetics, your diet, your daily activities between training sessions all affect that result. But it seems OK, just as long as your diet is ideal.