Question
Posted by: Leone | 2007/03/14

exercing but have gained weight

Hi, i have been execising for 8 months now, doing mostly cardio.I execise for between 45min to an hour, 4 times a week,alternating running,spinning,weights, lunges.I follow a healthy dies,always have.The idea for execising was for me to have stronger legs,for my heart and skin because i am not overweight.During the past month i have gained weight(3kg), what would cause weight gain as i have never experienced it before,why does it happen now that i am execising?

Hi Leone

Building muscle, as you have heard, is one reason why this could happen. This would be the case any time a person starts to train, because the body adapts to exercise and loading of the muscles by becoming stronger, and this means that you actually build muscle. Many people panic when this happens, especially early in the training, because they think it means they are doing the wrong thing, when in fact it's a great result. Over time, what will happen is that you will stop building muscle and then move to burning fat and your weight will come back down, but now with more muscle.

Having said this, and it is a likely one, it's also important to realise that there are other reasons. Could it be that your diet has changed in the last month? Or your exercise routine? Something must have changed, because you would not gain weight only now, after 8 months of training. So whether it's muscle being built or a change in the diet, there is something that is different now compared to 2 months ago, and you should do a little digging and see what this may be - did you take 2 weeks off about 2 months ago. Have you been under stress,causing you to eat a little more perhaps? These are all considerations.

ROss

4
Posted by: Leone | 2007/03/15

thank you

Reply to Leone
Posted by: ndz | 2007/03/15

yes i also gym like 4 times a week to stay fit and tone up.because you are training hard and burnng unwanted fat to build muscle.you say you want stronger legs? so in the process you legs are getting more muscle and so yu can weigh more if you start putting alot of muscle on?

Reply to ndz
Posted by: Leone | 2007/03/15

ok,how does this work, so i am heavier because of the muscles?

Reply to Leone
Posted by: nds | 2007/03/14

your are building muscle !muscle weighs more than fat!!

Reply to nds