Question
Posted by: Joe | 2004/10/05

Excessive thirst

I have three weeks ago started to join a running program. But there is only one problem. Since then I have had excessive thirst in the evenings when I arrive at home. Is there some deficiency, do I need to take supplements, because immediately after the session I am not thirsty - only two/three hours afterwards. Is it necessary to see a doctor about it? Thanks.

Hi joe

I don't think it is anything to be concerned about - all you have to do is listen to the body and drink. During exercise, if you are not thirsty, it probably just indicates that the body is coping fine, and can lose some water without any bad effects, but then as soon as you are finished and relaxed, it starts to 'tell you' that you need to replace what was lost. This is perfectly normal, and as long as you are able to drink when thirsty, you will be absolutely fine, so don't worry, and keep up the training!