Question
Posted by: tweakfreak | 2003/03/09

excessive sweating

I don't know what's wrong with me- i sweat much more than other people. (under my arms) i even sweat while i'm doing nothing! is it maybe my sweatglands or something that are overactive? is there something i can take for it or something my doctor can do for me? it really gets me down because i'm still young and when i wear t-shirts and tops they always show the sweatmarks, so i get really selfconcious and i feel like everybody can see it. please help!

TF, assuming that you’re not overweight, don’t suffer from a thyroid problem, adhere to the accepted hygiene regimens and that you’re in good general health, you might suffer hyperhidrosis. This is basically excessive perspiration due to over activity of the sweat glands. It usually occurs in otherwise healthy persons and is confined to the palms, soles, axillae, inframammary regions, or groin. Treating the underlying cause is a lot easier than to try and treat the hyperhidrosis itself. If there is no underlying cause, you can try using an aluminium chloride containing antiperspirant (Drichlor®).
If you’re interested you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll send you some more info on it. Good luck.