Question
Posted by: Claire | 2004/12/14

Excessive Sweat Problem

I have had the embarrassing problem of excessive sweating from my armpits for pretty much my whole life - since i was in high school. I have tried every single deoderant and anti-perspirant on the market that promises that you will 'stay dry all day' but with no luck. I just sweat through them. Whether its summer or winter, environmental temperature seems to make no difference. I read an article in a magaxine once that stated that botox is the best cure for this problem, but unfortunately, such expensive treatments are a bit out of my budget. This problem is driving me crazy and i am so sick of having sweat marks on all my clothes and being so embarrassed by it. Is there ANYTHING that i could get without a prescription that could possibly help me. Something stronger that could win the battle..?

Claire, assuming that you’re not overweight, don’t suffer from a thyroid problem, adhere to the accepted hygiene regimens and that you’re in good general health, you might suffer hyperhidrosis. This is basically excessive perspiration due to over activity of the sweat glands. It usually occurs in otherwise healthy persons and is confined to the palms, soles, axillae, inframammary regions, or groin.
Hyperhidrosis may be a contributory factor in various skin diseases (fungal or pyogenic infections; contact dermatitis). Generalized hyperhidrosis frequently accompanies fever. An endocrine dysfunction (eg, hyperthyroidism) or, occasionally, a CNS disorder may also cause generalized sweating. Excessive sweating of the palms and soles may be psychogenic.
Treatment
For generalized hyperhidrosis, the underlying systemic disease must be treated, yet the hyperhidrosis may be refractory. Systemic anticholinergic drugs have only a temporary effect, and side effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, difficulty with urination) are problematic. For localized hyperhidrosis, a 20 to 25% solution of aluminium chloride hexahydrate in absolute ethyl alcohol applied at night to the dried axillae, palms, or soles and covered tightly with a thin polyethylene film is usually effective. In the morning, the polyethylene film is removed and the area is washed free of salt. Two applications usually protect the area for 1 week. If the aluminum chloride under occlusion is irritating, it should be tried without occlusion. This solution should not be applied to inflamed, broken, wet, or recently shaved skin. In some patients, tap-water iontophoresis may be effective. A 5% solution of methenamine (available in some countries) in water may also be effective. Topical solutions containing glutaraldehyde or formaldehyde may be effective but can be irritating. If the anhydrous aluminium chloride treatment fails, extreme axillary hyperhidrosis may be relieved by surgically excising the concentrated group of glands in the axillary vault or injecting the area with Botox®. An operation called a sympathectomy can also be done where the nerve supply to the offending glands is cut off and keeps them from secreting any sweat. This operation is not possible for excessive sweating of the head.
All this said, the easiest would be to see a dermatologist and if he can’t help, a surgeon. Good luck.

2
Posted by: NEZ | 2004/12/15

hi Gaby , i suffered from the same problem , i also tried a whole lot of products , nothing worked , and it does'nt take the problem away , i had a bi-lateral sympathectomy done on the 25th of last month, yip! the op was sore , but i kept telling myself this time will pass, it feels so good to wear any top and not worry about sweat marks, and my hands have never felt this dry and smooth............, medical aid does cover, is such a common problem we were 2 chicks in hospital having it done . Go for it .
best of luck

Reply to NEZ
Posted by: gaby | 2004/12/15

Ask your pharmacist to order Perspirex. Its brilliaint

Reply to gaby