Question
Posted by: natalie | 2004/11/15

excessive barking

i have a friend who has 2 daschund's, the one is a puppy, one fully grown. she stays in a complex and her neighbours are complaining that the dogs bark costantly from when they leave home till when they get back. she is considering having their voice boxes removed or putting them down!!!! i think that is far too drastic and there must be another way. could you give any practical advice? when they are at home the dogs are inside with them and they are fine.
thank you

Hi Natalie
Dogs bark for a reason. You need to find the reason before you can stop the barking. I would guess that it may be separation anxiety (when your friend is out, asleep or not paying them attention), which is due to over-attachment. Your friend needs to take them for regular walks, let them socialise with other dogs and people, give them toys that they can chew and play with on their own and generally give them less attention when at home. Debarking may be the only solution in the long run, but it should be a last resort and I suggest that a consultation be sought by an animal behaviourist. (See www.animal-behaviour.org.za for an accredited ABC)
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Pi | 2004/11/15

Boredom. A lot of people will give a lot of advice on that. They will have to figure out a way of keeping the dogs busy otherwise they will bark non stop. I find giving mine a nice marrow bone usually keeps them busy until the afternoon when they pass out for an afternoon nap. I also have lots of different toys, and they love playing tug of war with their blankets, if it keeps them busy, they can do whatever they want with their blankets. I also buy cow hooves from the vet, stick some peanutbutter or pet's mince in it, freeze it and then give it to my dogs.

Please tell her to rather find good homes for them before doing something drastic, hope she comes right!

Reply to Pi