Question
Posted by: clare | 2004/11/10

Excess skin

I will be undergoing gastric bypass surgery in January. I have at least 50KG to lose. My stomach really sticks out and I am afraid that once I have lost the weight I will have folds of unwanted skin. Can I have this removed? Is it dangerous?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Clare,

It is definitely possible to remove large quantities of excess skin. I have recently removed as much as 11 kg of excess skin. Certainly all surgical procedures are dangerous, however, it is important to remember that a competent surgeon is quite capable of handling any possible complications, and will stand by you to sort these complications.