Question
Posted by: R | 2005/07/08

Excess of slime/mucus after eating dairy

Please could you help me. My problem is that I get terrible slime in my throat after eating any form of dairy product - especially milk. Does this mean I have a food allergy and is there anything I can take to combat the effects (like with other allergies) - because I can't see myself cutting all forms of Dairy from my diet - I already have a sugar problem (Hyperglycemia or Hypoglycemia - I can never remember the difference) and have had to cut out almost all sugar from my diet. Please could you give me some advice.

Dear R
This type of reaction to dairy products is probably a sensitivity, rather than a true allergy. It would mean that you have to cut down on milk and dairy products. You can, however, consult an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist who may be able to suggest certain treatment options such as the use of antihistamines or desensitisation. It is a good idea to obtain this type of opinion as it could make your life easier. If there is no other option, then you can replace milk and dairy products with soya milk, and yoghurt which is available in most supermarkets. Remember to also take a calcium supplement like Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz to ensure that you have an adequate calcium intake when you cut out milk, etc. You probably suffer from hypoglycaemia is you have to cut out sugar. This condition reacts well to a diet based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. But go for that checkup with an ENT as soon as you can.