Posted by: Anxious | 2008/09/08

Excess Body Hair

My teenage daughter, 14years of age, has this problem with excess body hair and facial hair. She feels restricted when dressing up &  shopping. She would love to be a free teenager, not having this to worry about. Please advise me what can be done in this case.

Expert ImageTeen expert

I would advise that initially you speak with your family doctor who could recommend a medical specialist for possible treatments. You could also post your question to our CyberDoc here at Health24 as this is a medical query.

Many thanks

Posted by: Kman | 2008/09/08

Hi There,

This condition is called Hirsutism (excess hair growth). Hirsutism is caused by an excess production or action of hormones called androgens, usually within the ovaries or adrenal glands. Several different conditions can lead to hirsutism. I would suggest you visit your GP and perhaps they can refer you to a specialist. The treatment of hirsutism requires patience because hair follicles have a life cycle of about six months. Most medications must be taken for three to six months before a noticeable improvement occurs. In the meantime, the existing hair can be mechanically removed or bleached, and some women may continue to use these methods in combination with medication.

Best of Luck!

Reply to Kman