Question
Posted by: Njhakeni | 2004/10/28

Excersise first thing in the morning

i have recently read that excersising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is the best thing to do since your body uses the stored fat. How true is this?
i have tried it on several days, but find it difficult for me as the minute i open my eyes in the morning my stomach is already saying it is hungry. i love running on the treadmill so doing it hungry is strenuous what can i do?

Njhakeni

hi there

As with more ideas on training, it has some truth to it, but it is not necessarily all it is cut out to be. In theory, you are quite right, by training in the morning, before eating breakfast would force the body to use fat because the liver stores of sugar are close to finished and this means that your body has no glucose to burn. Therefore, it is thought that the body will use more fat, and weight loss would be greater. However, the principle may be true, but there are certain other considerations that you must take into account:

• The intensity of the training: if the intensity is too high, you have the risk of becoming hypoglycaemic.
• The duration of the training: if you exercise too long, you also have a risk of becoming hypoglycaemic.
• If you are glycogen depleted when you begin, you will become hypoglycaemic quicker.
• The meal that you ate the previous evening.
• It also dependent on your previous training and your dietary intake over the one or two days prior to the session.

In otherwords, exercising without giving your body any energy can cause you to become hypoglycaemic. It may be safe if you train at a low intensity and for less than an hour. you may wish to try this out and experiment, and see what works best for you, and then choose the most convenient time of day, as mentioned.Good luck