Question
Posted by: Irene | 2003/12/18

Excerise

My daughter -age 12 is not to fat - but she do have a problem with her weight. I want to help her with healthy lifestyle.
Can you help me with some exercise for her.

Hi Irene

My personal opinion is that structured training should not be done until the age of about 17 years old (maybe in girls, this can be a little younger). Having said that, I think that everyone, no matter how old should be involved in a healthy lifestyle, and so it's a good thing that you are wanting to do. however, the distinction must be made between exercise and specific training - I think that for a 12 year old girl, the goal should be to get involved in as many sports as possible at school - hockey, netball, swimming, athletics etc. and you can really encourage her a lot with this. Then, the other thing is just practical - limit her TV time each day, and try to encourage her to walk to the shops for example, or to spend time outside etc. If you are a regular exerciser, then encourage her to join you, even if it's just a 30 minute walk. All these things are important, because if you can set a standard now, she'll be a healthy lifestyle follower for life, and so try to be interactive without putting too much pressure on her, as I mentioned.