Question
Posted by: Maryo | 2007/03/28

Excercising but not losing weight

Hi FittnessDoc; I would like to know how this works: I am on Wiegh-less and do kickboxing three times a week for an hour to an hour and a half every time. Now I a mot losing any weight and not really getting smaller. I have been doing this since January and Haven't really seen any results. Am I just impatient? Thanks for you your reply so long.

I think that it's partly that you are being a little impatient, because three months of training, while a good period to start seeing results, is often an awkward one for the reason that in those first few months, you increase muscle mass as a result of training and this tends to 'hide' any other mass that may be lost (that is, fat). And so it can cause major confusion if your success is measured by how much weight you are losing - you may even gain weight, because you increase muscle mass MORE than you lose fat mass. And there is nothing wrong with this, in the long term, it's desirable. So I would not change anything just yet. The key is whether you have gotten fitter and improved 'performance' at the exercise you are doing. In otherwords, do you feel stronger and fitter in those kickboxing classes than you did previously? If yes, then you are on the right track, it will just take a little longer to see results. I'm assuming of course, that you have weight to lose - you may already be in the ideal body weight category, and so then it changes everything, making it much more difficult to lose weight. So you have to assess your goal as well. And finally, diet is so critical, it's an answer all by itself. And while you may be on weigh-less, it doesn't guarantee a successful diet to complement your exercise routine. So that may be something you can look at changing, but I would do this with a dietician's advice.