Question
Posted by: Hopefully pregnant | 2007/02/21

Excercise while pregnant

Good morning,

Can you recommend a book (a very good book) for exercise for pregnant woman. My husband and I are trying to conceive but I want to start reading up on exercise routines for when I am pregnant.

I currently gym for an hour and a half 6 times a week and with my current routine I know I will have to change it quite significantly when I do conceive. I would like to start educating myself now so that the transition is a little easier.

Thank you for the advice
Kind regards
Hopefully pregnant

Honestly, I don't know of specific books on the topic, though I do know that there are many in stores like Exclusive Books. however, there are probably many 'out-there' ideas, so it's difficult to know what to believe.

What I can say is that exercise is definitely good, both for you and for the baby, and so any advice you get that says you should not exercise is bad. I can also tell you that it is essential to be medically assisted the whole way through. That is, you want to be double sure with every step that you are doing the right thing without taking undue risks. And that means consulting your doctor the whole way.

Finally, with regards to exercise, the most important thing to realise is that you shouldn't be aiming to get fit during the pregnancy. There are some potential 'hotspots' or trouble areas, and the most dangerous period is actually the first trimester. It's here where things like your body temperature can have the biggest effect on the baby, and so that's why it's always recommended that the xercise intensity be kept quite low. If you are fit going in, then you have a huge advantage because you can exercise at a pretty good intensity without overdoing it or overexerting yourself. But it is certainly worth bearing in mind that you must keep cooler than you normally would and that you should not overdo it in this early phase. Then as you move into the second and third trimester, the main goal will be to be comfortable, because it's here that you start dealing with changes in body weight, center of mass and so on. Also, your body produces hormones which make your joints more flexible, looser, and so you have to be careful about balance and stretching and so on. That's why things like cycling, and especially swimming and aqua classes are so good in the last couple of months.

So that's a very general guideline - I'm sorry I can't give a book name, but if you do go into the store, at least you have some guidelines to match up with now, and hopefully you can find a decent book.

Ross

1
Posted by: Hopefully pregnant | 2007/02/22

Thank you very much!

Reply to Hopefully pregnant