Question
Posted by: K | 2004/11/16

Excercise routine after operation

I have had my most of my large intestine removed about 3 yrs ago but have been to scared to do any exercise since. What kind of excercise can I do to strenghthen my stomach, butt & thighs without causing myself any problems

Hi K

If the surgery was successful, then there should be no barriers to exercise. I really believe that you can do pretty much any exercise you feel like doing. You may find that there are certain practicalities - maybe certain foods won't combine with exercise very well and cause you gastrointestinal problems if you exercise, but I think that you can very simply work around this. I would firstly suggest that you check with a doctor and make sure that you have the green light to be able to train and exercise. I have a feeling (and I am not a gastroenterologist by any stretch) that it should not be a problem for you to begin with very light exercise. I then think that you should look at exercise as anyone else would, starting gradually and then building up. My advice is that check out the following site:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that. your requests are for stomach, thigh and butt definition, and this requires both cardio and toning exercises. This programme has both.