Question
Posted by: friendly | 2008/06/12

excercise-no weight loss

I have been going to the gym for the last 3years, doing weight training with a personal trainer. I've toned down to a size 8, 2 years ago and now I am stuck.
6 Months ago, I started to walk/jog 5km 3 times a week, I also started to go to stretching classes 3 times a week and I do Yoga once a week. This is now apart from my Weight Training twice a week. I haven't loss a single kilogram.
Much to my dismay-I also see no difference in my body. I still got fat legs-not toned legs.
I am 37yrs,1,58m, weigh 57kg, fat index of 23%.
My trainer says I don't eat enough for the amount of energy that I am burning, my body is also not recovering as fast as if should be.
What can I do to lose that extra weight(fat).
If I go on normal diets, I end up gaining weight. I need to lose weight.
I also started to drink Phedra Cut and CLA-no difference.
Help.

A couple of things here. The first is your current weight. You're by no means overweight. Your BMI is under 23,a nd your body fat % (assuming it's been measured accurately) is 23%, which is also lower than the average, for a woman of your age. So it might just be a case of being pretty close to your "natural" body weight, which means that any further gains are going to be a little slow.

now, what is of concern is that your diet is apparently insufficient for your training. I'd also be concerned with the phedra-cut and the CLA, because you don't need those. They clearly are not working (they hardly ever do) and they're more risk than benefit to you. So I think you should get rid of that.

But more important, the diet is vital. It's a paradox, but if your energy intake is too low, your body actually struggles to lose weight. It's too clever for that, and it knows when you're "starving" it, and then responds by using less energy than it normally would. The result is that you actually prevent weight loss by eating too little, not helping it!

So I think that the key is to get yourself to a dietician and have them look at your diet. You can probably make an impact simply by doing that. That's not to say a "normal diet" - these diets are no good, they only mess up the system, and you need a sensible eating plan, not a diet.

I can't comment too much more on the exercise, since I don't know what you're doing, but I would advise that you reassess those goals, because getting down to even 54kg is going to be mighty difficult to do.

1
Posted by: Twins | 2008/06/19

I have the same problem. I train 3-4 times a week. Eat low GI, drink a lot of water. I always weighed 52kg and now I am at 55.4. I am 1.59 tall and 32 years old. I dont know what to do.

Reply to Twins