Question
Posted by: Nina | 2006/04/04

Excercise bike

I have recently bought a trojan stationery excercise bike. I need to lose about 6 kgs esp in my abdomen area. How often and for how long should I cycle for? and how long before I see results?
My job from 8 to 5pm requires me to be seated all the time. Ive become insulin resistant. Dr says I dont need meds as excercise and diet can help. My glucose levels are normal but my insulin levels are high.

Hi Nina

My advice is that you begin with about 20 to 30 minutes of cycling per day, 4 days a week. Exercise can certainly help you with both the weight issue and the insulin problem, we know that. However, the key is consistency in your training and understanding that it is a long term solution. That means you start off with 4 days now, but then build up to 5 or 6 later on. Also, if you do 20 minutes now, you must aim for 45 to 60 minutes later on. Generally, my advice is that you increase by 5 minutes every week, so that you are doing 45 minutes within the next 5 weeks.