Question
Posted by: V | 2006/10/31

Excema and phlem cough (allergy)

Please help. My son is 10mnths old and had him at a pediatrician about 2 weeks ago. "ear infection and flu" was the diagnosis. All seems well but he is constantly coughing "phlem" when he sleeps and when he wakes up. I had him at the fisiotherapist for 3 sessions but no improvement. He has excema too and had him at 2 diffirent pediatricians but only goes away for a little while and I have to now take him back to get other cream because I wasn't given a repeat script. I had him tested for food allergies and wasn't allergic. Please give me some sort of advice and at what age can he be tested for other allergies.?

Dear V
He can be tested already - could be dustmites, or animal dander or even tree pollen causing the phlegm. They can do a blood test or a skin test on his back. Ask your pediatrician to refer you to an allergy clinic. Just try an hypo allergenic milk too ( but it is expensive....) A child with eczema needs to avoid soap - bath him with aqeuous cream, Elizabeth Anne Babyshampoo or Dove soap. Rub his body with UEA twice a day.