Question
Posted by: Tanya | 2003/03/06

Excema

Dear Doc

My daughter has been suffering from Excema since she was a baby. She is now 22 and still has excema. She has just been using Betnovate Ointment. Her skin is very bad at the moment, don't know whether it is the heat. Could you please tell me whether there is anything else she could use? It is very itchy and sore. Are there any vitamines that she could take to help control the excema?
Please help!

Dear Tanya
As I am the Diet Expert I can only answer the latter part of your query (please ask Cyber Doc about alternative medications). There is not very much evidence that diet plays a role in eczema, but as this is believed to be an autoimmune disease, taking Salmon oil capsules to boost omega-3 intake, may well help. Omega-3 helps in inflammatory conditions so it is at least worth a try. If your daughter is eating a well balanced diet, then she need not take vitamin and mineral supplements, if NOT then she should take a complete supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte for about 2 months. There is also a link between eczema and stress, so it may be beneficial for her to take up some stress-relieving exercise like yoga.
Hope she feels better soon.