Posted by: Anita | 2008/10/16

Does my doc really have to give me a rectal examination ?. He never has done this before my last visit,I nearly died, but he sais its necessary once 40, he sais that the vaginal exam only checks the front of the cervix or uterus. He also gives me an internal scan each visit, this he has been doing for years. I like him because he is thorough, but I have never heard of this before. He sais doctors often don' t do this because it makes the patient feel uncomfortable. Does the internal scan not check the same thing? He also wants me to go for a mammogram each year now, but I have heard that too much radiation can also cause a problem.

You don't have to have a rectal examination if you don't want one. This is done to check for rectal/colon cancer, which would not be detected on scan till it is advanced. Mammograms every 1-2 years are recommended after the age of 45.