Question
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2007/07/26

Exam stress, depression and anxiety

I have a daughter in matric and she is really stressed out about the forthcoming exams. She is mildly depressed for the last few years already, but we deal with that and we talk about it. At the moment she is extremely snappy and gets what she calls emotional attacks,I see it as anxiety. Even snap at her teachers and cries easily. She is dead scared that she is going to fail G12.
I am not in favour of taking medicine for it, but is there anything we can do to help her. Something that is nog habit forming? Please help.

This does indeed sound like anxiety. Ideally, if you can find a good local counsellor using Cognitive-Behavioural ( CBT ) methods this could help her learn to relax and to deal better with her anger. Tranquillizers can interfere with learning and performance, so may not be so useful. The same would apply to over-the-counter remedies.
Maybe a good asessment from a local shrink would help, as carefully selected medication, like some antidepresants which can help to relieve anxiety symptoms, too, without being so habit-forming or duisruptive of learning, would help

1
Posted by: Indyfreak | 2007/07/26

I had exactly this problem in Matric. I was deathly scared I would fail and had very bad anxiety and depression. Rescue remedy is a great natural remedy that could help her. It calms and aids with the crying and is not at all addictive. A. Vogel makes it. My doctor put me on Xanor at that time, which is a sedative. It is slightly addictive and should be taken under supervision of a doctor. If I had not ahd that, I think I may have lost my mind. So, remember, sometimes strong medication can be scary, but it can really help.

Reply to Indyfreak