Question
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/19

Exam

Hi CS,

Perhaps a silly question but what to do if you are writing exams and you cannot concentrate on the study material.? It has actually been a problem my whole life, cannot concentrate at all. While in school, I used to quickly read through the material before exam ( was the fastest reader) and then write exam on what I can recall.

Unfortunately I cannot do that now , coz the information to remember is so much more difficult and I do not attend any class, so I can't rely on Class projects.

But I am tired of living on the edge (ha,ha,ha) and I really would love to be able to study!

Dear JM,
Wherever you are studying, they ought to provide counsellors who can help you discuss and improve on your study methods. There are many different techniques for organizing your studies and your material, so as to make it easier to concentrate and remember the stuff. You can't rely on short-term memory, especially as the volume of Stuff increases. It's hard to remember without understanding the material, and having some sort of over-all framework in which to organize your thinking about it, and a way of relating it to practical uses and your own interests.
YOu are probably well able to concentrate, but to be good at it, like any other sport, needs regular practice.